Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lanval

According to the second paragraph within Lanval, written by Marie De France, Lanval was a man who served the King with much humilty. He was a man of "valor, generosity, beauty and prowess (1318)." Although within the Medieval Time period being of high esteem is of great value, one of the other characteristics of Lanval was less honorable. Lanval was consumed by his love for the maiden introduced at the end of the story. "It is my beloved! If she shows me no mercy, I hardly care if anyone should kill me, for my cure is in seeing her (1323)." Within this particular time period, such "head-over-heals" love is not necessarily looked upon with respect. In due time such vulnerability and passion would be recognized as strength but at this point in time, it is not. Another strong character displayed within Lanval is his strength to disregard the strong notions the Queen was giving him. Aside from Lanvals deep passions for his true love, the other characteristics discussed (status and strength) are placed at high value within the Medieval Time period.

Although there were many women within the piece and not only were they just "in the story" but they also played a large role within the story, I do not think this was a femenist piece. The main reason that I do not think that this story was feminist is because Lanvals deep, committed love he had for the maiden. Although typically this would work against my argument, the Medieval Time's were on a brink of change. I think the author was trying to portray Lanval in a positive light. When a man demonstrated his love freely to his maiden, it showed his strength because he was blatently going against those around him, mainly the church.

1 comment: